*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

One Hundred Thirty Pounds Ago,

I shed my shell and Got My Wings!

Monday, February 21, 2005

Bahama Mama



I had the most incredible weekend in San Francisco with Ruben! He planned a romantic getaway for us to celebrate our engagement. Actually, when he was talking about this trip weeks ago I had convinced myself that because he was trying to make it so special that this was when we would propose, little did I know the real plan and that this was only a celebration of me accepting his proposal! But, I somewhat ruined our most romantic night, completely on accident. A Bahama Mama knocked me on my ass! Before I get too far into this story, let me explain shortly how alcohol affects Weight Loss Surgery patients. Right after surgery my new stomach was about the size of men's thumb. Now, at nine months out I can hold about 4-5 ounces of food. In addition to a new stomach, my intestines have been re-routed. Because of all this, Gastric Bypass under goers are very cheap dates when it comes to alcohol! With our stomachs so small, and our new intestines, beverages go through us and into our bloodstream much faster than normally. Therefore, we feel the effects of drinking quite quickly, and at the same time it also goes through us at almost the same rate so we sober up more quickly as well (which is good for some occasions if you want to start drinking all over again, but not at all something that should be taken advantage of.) Now that you have this information, you should also know that I very rarely drink in the first place, maybe 3-4 times a year at special occasions and it's never to get drunk. But!!!! Sunday evening Ruben reserved a setting for us in Union Square at a restaurant called First Crush. It was beautiful and elegant and the food was incredible, melt in your mouth quality. Back at the room were candles and chocolate covered strawberries awaiting our arrival and wanting to make our night only oooohhhh so more perfect!

Ruben felt bad that I had taken so long getting ready for our evening for it to only last the hour of our dinner, so on our way back to the room we stopped at the hotel lobby for after dinner drinks and dessert. He had a coke and cheesecake and I had a Bahama Mama! I felt fine while in the lobby, and on the way to the elevator and up the elevator and all the way into the room. I sat on the edge of the bed to take off my shoes and remember Ruben telling me he was going to use the restroom. That's it! Hours later, board and lonely, after a movie and reading a while, Ruben woke me up. He said I was passed out when he stepped out of the restroom and that I had looked so pretty and peaceful in my formal dress that he didn't have a heart to wake me. I felt awful. It was comical to him, but I couldn't help but feel awful.

For anyone without my impaired system, I do recommend this drink! It has a wonderful splash of coconut and is very refreshing, but watch out, it does sneak up you!

Got My Wings at 8:47 PM

1comments

1 Comments

at 9:46 AM Anonymous Grams said...

Your blog is really good Megan, I really enjoyed reading about your time in San Francisco... and it was comical too about the bahama mama drink, knocked you on your butt huh? that's what it would do to me also...since I haven't had anything to drink since 1980.. was good reading it.. have a good day Grams

 

Post a Comment