*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

One Hundred Thirty Pounds Ago,

I shed my shell and Got My Wings!

Sunday, August 28, 2005

My Hero

A few weeks ago Ruben wrote about me being his Super Hero. If he only knew that he is mine as well. Isn't it funny how two people can feel the same way about each other? This picture is of Ruben with a cousin of mine, pretending to be strong and "Super Hero-ish." But, this is how I really see him all the time. He is one of the strongest men in the world....just not so much in the muscle department. He is strong in the heart and mind, even when he is scared and doesn't want to be strong. He amazes me everyday. He says he's that way because of me, but really, he inspires me to keep encouraging him.



Now don't get me wrong, neither of us are by any means perfect...we're far from it. There are days when he frustrates me too, and I know I do the same to him. There are days when we nit-pick and argue, sometimes even about his health and mostly about our finances; but every night we go to sleep in each others arms and we always make sure to never go to sleep angry. My parents instilled that into me. Mostly because if you go to bed angry at each other, there's no telling what will happen to you in your sleep...ha ha! No really though, they've taught me that's a key to a good relationship.

Anyway...back to the Hero story. Last Friday Ruben gave an inspirational speech to about 500 members of the Modesto Junior College Staff. He spoke about his disease and not about over coming it, but about dealing with it. He was great. Naturally, a little nervous at first, but by the end he seemed like a pro. He belonged up there, just like he thinks I belong in a class room. He needs to find a way to do this for a living. Not to profit from his disease, but to help others get through their problems (whether they be as severe, or not, or worse). Every one comes to this world with a calling, and I think he's found his. It only took him 30 years. I don't think that's too bad at all. I know 60 year olds who are still looking.

Got My Wings at 8:55 PM

3comments

3 Comments

at 2:23 PM Blogger Ruben said...

Thanks baby angel! But did you have to post that pic? I look like I am trying to squeeze out a turd! :-)

I love you and always, always will!!!!

 
at 8:03 AM Blogger ginger said...

Ruben is so wonderful. I'm so glad you two wonderful people have each other to love!

 
at 8:40 AM Blogger Shannon said...

I wish you could post his speeches for us! Any way that may happen in the future? We would love it!

 

Post a Comment